Re: virtual interfaces not routing properly.

Bob Proulx a écrit :
> Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>> Bob Proulx a écrit :
>
>>> 	up   ip addr add 10.25.48.141/24 dev eth0 label eth0:0
>>> 	down ip addr del 10.25.48.141/24 dev eth0 label eth0:0
>>
>> That sucks big time. Don't tell me it is the new official way to replace
>> aliases.
>
> It doesn't have any official status beyond being able to work with the
> (at least for some period of time) broken ifupdown in Sid.

Fine them. "The newer way to configure multiple addresses on one
interface is to use the up and down mechanism to call ip" written in the
Debian wiki sounded quite definitive to me.

> And it
> seems very reasonable to me.  I am sorry that you don't like it.  In
> which case you don't need to use it.  But I don't think it sucks at
> all.  *I* like it.

It is acceptable as a temporary workaround and should be clearly
advertised as such. I would not have liked it as a final new way to
assign multiple addresses to a single interface. I do not like mixing
ifupdown options (address, netmask, gateway...) and up/down commands to
configure the same things either, this is not consistent. If you are
going that way, why not use the "manual" method and do all the
configuration with up/down options ?