Re: smtp/postfix/sasl/openssh headaches

11.01.2012 22:41, Tony Baldwin:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 08:13:53PM +0100, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

>> Stop and/or uninstall sendmail (or whatever this process might belong to).
>

> I think I just addressed that.

Obviously not.

> I do not have sendmail installed.

Then stop/uninstall the software that listens on port 25 and thus
prevents postfix of doing so.

> $ sudo aptitude remove sendmail
> NUCLEAR LAUNCH CODE:
> No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
>
> My understanding is that postfix has something with the same name.

Yes, it's the command line interface to the mail system and it's called
"sendmail" because of sendmail compatibility. But postfix' sendmail
binary never listens on any network socket. The postfix process that
does is called "master".

Is your mail server going to be accessible from an untrusted network/the
internet?

--
Regards
  mks