Re: No sound after purged some gnome packages

Csanyi Pal (csanyipal@gmail.com on 2012-01-10 18:05 +0100):
> Hi,
>
> I have problem with sound. Can't hear anything except PC speaker's
> beep. This PC Speaker is in the PC Box and is small. :)

[..]
> Aplay can't find any soundcard.
> aplay -l
> aplay: device_list:242: no soundcards found...
[..]
> What I did is that that I just purged almost all gnome packages from
> my Debian SID and maybe purged some essential packages for sound.

Smart money's on a missing alsa-base package.

To be more thorough:

- Is alsa-base still installed?
- Are you still a member of the audio group?
- What are the permissions on /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer?

What is the output of:
$ lsmod | grep snd
$ cat /proc/asound/cards

Regards,