Re: sasl authentication failed

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 17:51:13 -0500, Tony Baldwin wrote:

> I followed directions here:
> http://library.linode.com/email/postfix/dovecot-mysql-debian-6-squeeze#sph_configure-saslauthd-to-use-mysql
> to set up postfix/dovecot to mail from my linode running squeeze.
>
> I can now, either on that server or from home, collect mail from my
> domain with mutt, but when I try to send mail, I get a warning that the
> certificate hostname doesn't match the server, and, even when choosing
> (o) accept once // no (a) accept all option here //
> I get
> Sasl authentication failed.
>
> The one thing that I question is this: hostname on the server gives me
> $hostnamethatIassigned
> hostname -f on that server gives me
> $hostnamethatIassigned.linode.com
> so this is what I put for the FDQN, according to the tutorial. But I've
> set up mail for the domain
> mail.tonybaldwin.org
>
> imap is working, smtp is not
> But this is the first ever I have tried to set up a mail server, so I'm
> at a loss.
> Should I have entered my own domain for the fdqn? I didn't think so,
> since I set my domain in the virtualhost for postfix. But the
> certificate/hostname not matching makes me question this.
>
> Any assistance will be appreciated.

Mmmm, my guess is that your are having problems (or at least "one" of the
problems, the other can be indeed with saslauth :-) ) with the SSL
certificate you have generated, described in this step of your guide¹.

To verify this point, test if your smtp is working fine (port 25, no SSL)
and post here the results.

Also, review your Postfix logs (omit sensitive data if you post them here),
they're usually the best source for solving problems :-)

¹http://library.linode.com/email/postfix/dovecot-mysql-debian-6-squeeze#sph_create-an-ssl-certificate-for-postfix

Greetings,

--
Camaleón