Re: grub-pc mdadm root

also sprach Justin Jereza <justinjereza@gmail.com> [2012.01.10.1523 +0100]:
> Your /boot must be in a regular partition or in a raid1 volume. It may
> either have it's own filesystem (I typically use one that's 512mb in size)
> or in the root filesystem. If it's in the root filesystem, then that means
> that root should be in a regular partition or in a raid1 volume.

With grub2, your /boot can be an LV on a RAID6 if you want it to be.
The only thing that does not work is /boot on dmcrypt.

Having /boot on a separate RAID1, however, might be easier for
recovery, especially if you are not so familiar yet. Later, however,
it doesn't matter, i.e. Debian installer rescue mode or grml can
easily give you access to a system, and Super Grub Disk can boot
such a system too, should you ever need it.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"computer science is no more about computers
 than astronomy is about telescopes."
                                                 -- edsgar w. dijkstra