Re: grub-pc mdadm root

10/01/2012 00:13, Marc Auslander wrote:
Is it possible to boot a raid root file system.  I'm having trouble
finding up to date documentation.

Some searchs talk about a separate /boot partition - I don't
understand why that is needed or relevant.

I'm assuming I'd make a mdadm v 1.2 raid 1 partition for root.

Can someone either tell me if this is workable, or point me at
documentation.  (the current grub-pc info is silent about mdadm).

google search lead to various bug reports.

Hi, I can't point to any documentation right now, but I can confirm it "just works" since I have machines running this kind of config. I only use a separate /boot for RAID + LUKS, but raid1 alone can work without it. Having said that, I am not surprised about the bug reports, I have filled some myself. There was a problem when grub-pc 1.99 came out, but the "mduuid" patch solved that, it's now fixed thanks to:

"2011-04-17  Vladimir Serbinenko  <phcoder@gmail.com>

	Identify RAID by its UUID rather than (guessed) name.

	* grub-core/disk/raid.c (ascii2hex): New function.
	(grub_raid_open): Accept mduuid/%s specification.
	* grub-core/kern/emu/getroot.c (get_mdadm_name): Revamped into ...
	(get_mdadm_uuid): ... this.
	(grub_util_get_grub_dev): Use mduuid/%s if UUID is available."

Squeeze version (1.98) is OK, this problem only occurred in wheezy/testing and up.

If you find a specific bug report that worries you, maybe you can point to it ?

Anyway, it should work, have fun.