Re: sasl authentication failed

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 05:51:13PM -0500, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I followed directions here:
> http://library.linode.com/email/postfix/dovecot-mysql-debian-6-squeeze#sph_configure-saslauthd-to-use-mysql
> to set up postfix/dovecot to mail from my linode running squeeze.
>
> I can now, either on that server or from home, collect mail from my
> domain with mutt, but when I try to send mail, I get a warning that the
> certificate hostname doesn't match the server,
> and, even when choosing (o) accept once
> // no (a) accept all option here //
> I get
> Sasl authentication failed.
>
> The one thing that I question is this:
> hostname on the server gives me
> $hostnamethatIassigned
> hostname -f on that server gives me
> $hostnamethatIassigned.linode.com
> so this is what I put for the FDQN, according to the tutorial.
> But I've set up mail for the domain
> mail.tonybaldwin.org
>
> imap is working, smtp is not
> But this is the first ever I have tried to set up a mail server, so I'm
> at a loss.
> Should I have entered my own domain for the fdqn?
> I didn't think so, since I set my domain in the virtualhost for postfix.
> But the certificate/hostname not matching makes me question this.
>
> Any assistance will be appreciated.

Also, now I find I only receive mail from myself (administrator of the
server).
When I, say, try to send from this email at gmx.com,
I get a message saying that gmx contacted my server, but was refused
with:
Must issue a STARTTLS command first.

Now, I have successfully installed squirrelmail, and I see this very
same thing when I try to send a message from the webmail, too.
(Must issue a STARTTLS command).

When I try to send from that acct from mutt, I only get the
Sasl authentication failed
message.

tony
--