Re: Network not working on Shuttle XS35GTV2

Thanks alot for you answer Andrei!

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 10:07:28 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Du, 08 ian 12, 17:18:57, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I used a Shuttle XS35GTV2 as XBMC frontend with OpenELEC. Since some
>> time it lost its Network connection (I use ethernet not WLAN). I have
>> no clue why this happend. I suggest it was due to the OpenELEC update
>> 1.02.
>> Can you help me getting the network interface running for the netinst?
>> Or would it be easier to install Debian using ISO-CD or DVD and then
>> somehow fix the problem?
>
> I looked up the online specs for your device and there is no mention of
> the network chipset used, but I'm guessing it is one of the newer RTL
> chipsets.

Sorry, I should have posted it here. lspci gave
02:00.5 Ethernet controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMC250 PCI Express
Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03)
03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor C., Ltd Device 8176
(rev 01)

> You can still use the netinst, because it does have the minimum amount
> of packages. Afterwards make sure you run the latest kernel from stable
> or even backports.
> You might also need firmware, a
>
> dmesg | grep -i firmware
>
> should tell.

I can skip the network setup of netinst. But I can't skip the part when I
have to choose a Debian mirror?

After the installer fails to setup the network dmesg | grep -i firmware
returns:
"[  0.904131] pci 0000:00:1f.0: [Firmware Bug]: TigerPoint LPC.BM_STS
cleared"

I wanted to install an ISO image but there are 52 cd images and another
10 update images. I suppose I would had to download and use all of them
to install?

Best regards
Ramon