Re: Ufter upgrade Debian SID something wrong with sound - PulseAudio

Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:

> On 09/01/12 20:27, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:

> <snipped>
>

>> I just  tried it in the GNOME environment and the sound isn't so loud
>> now. That is because I used pavucontrol to adjusting sounds yesterday.
>>
>>> Unless I've misremembered - you are running Gnome *and* WindowMaker....
>>> what is the situation when logged into Gnome?
>>
>> Here in the GNOME Skype sounds can be heared well. Fookb-wmaker works
>> well too, it's sound isn't so loud as it was before.
>>
>> I shall try out again in WMaker.
>>
>> Ah, it works here too. So I must to login itno GNOME and logout from
>> there and login in WindowMaker to get things works?
>>
> I think what is happening is that Fookb-wmaker is controlling alsa sound
> levels - which some of your apps use. When you use pavucontrol you are
> adjusting sound levels for alsa *and* what ever other sound systems you
> have. That is the purpose of pulseaudio - a one-stop-shop to manage all
> your sound systems - independent of other sound systems, apps, other
> users, and across networks.
>
> Perhaps if you dig around in Fookb-wmaker you can get it to talk direct
> to pulseaudio. I'd have to install wmaker *and* gnome to find out.

In the ~/GNUstep/Defaults/ directory there is a file FOOkb and in it
there is the line:
Command = "/usr/bin/aplay /usr/share/fookb/beep_spring.au";

Can one substitute this command with some other in which must to give
another sound player that uses pulseaudio?
I tried to search such commandline player but did not find any.

> Glad you're no longer shouting on Skype.

OK, thanks to you.

--
Regards from Pal