Re: Ufter upgrade Debian SID something wrong with sound - PulseAudio

On 09/01/12 20:27, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:

<snipped>

> I just  tried it in the GNOME environment and the sound isn't so loud
> now. That is because I used pavucontrol to adjusting sounds yesterday.
>
>> Unless I've misremembered - you are running Gnome *and* WindowMaker....
>> what is the situation when logged into Gnome?
>
> Here in the GNOME Skype sounds can be heared well. Fookb-wmaker works
> well too, it's sound isn't so loud as it was before.
>
> I shall try out again in WMaker.
>
> Ah, it works here too. So I must to login itno GNOME and logout from
> there and login in WindowMaker to get things works?

I think what is happening is that Fookb-wmaker is controlling alsa sound
levels - which some of your apps use. When you use pavucontrol you are
adjusting sound levels for alsa *and* what ever other sound systems you
have. That is the purpose of pulseaudio - a one-stop-shop to manage all
your sound systems - independent of other sound systems, apps, other
users, and across networks.

Perhaps if you dig around in Fookb-wmaker you can get it to talk direct
to pulseaudio. I'd have to install wmaker *and* gnome to find out.

Glad you're no longer shouting on Skype.

Cheers