Re: Ufter upgrade Debian SID something wrong with sound - PulseAudio

On 09/01/12 02:34, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:

>> <snipped>

> This changed little bit and don't know what I did to change it:
> was:
>>> Sound Devices
>>> Microphone  PulseAudio server (local)
>>> Speakers    PulseAudio server (local)
>>> Ringing     PulseAudio server (local)
>
> and now I get so many devices here to choose but now I choosed pulse:
> Microphone  pulse (pulse)
> Speakers    pulse (pulse)
> Ringing     pulse (pulse)
>
> I have these devices to choose:
> Default device (default),
> pulse (pulse),
> HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog Front speakers (front: CARD=NVidia,Dev=0),
>  (...)
> HDA NVidia, ALC883 Digital (..),
> HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog (hw:0,0),
> HDA NVidia, ALC883 Digital (hw:0,1),
> hdmi (unknown),
> pulse (pulse).
>
> Skype doesn't work with none of them.
> Skype is totally dumb. Why?

Hard to tell - it's closed source :-(

I'll have to duplicate your environment to tell for sure and I won't be
able to do that until this evening.

> <snipped>
>
>>> However when I play the same sound from the ogg file, it is very
>>> quiet,
>>
>> Bingo! I believe it's a mixer setting and the volume control you are
>> using seems to control alsa levels.
>>
>> Try using pavucontrol to adjust sound levels
>
> I tried pavucontrol, and it is possible to adjust sound separate for
> Fookb-wmaker too.
>
> <snipped>

I have never used Foookb-wmaker.

Unless I've misremembered - you are running Gnome *and* WindowMaker....
what is the situation when logged into Gnome?

Cheers