Re: [OT] Ownership of words

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 21:06:15 +0800
lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 08,January,2012 08:18 PM, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> >>
> >> Please don't misuse words in this way. It makes life even harder for
> >> those of
> >> us who are seriously allergic to things. You are using the word to
> >> mean "I
> >> don't like", so what word is left for "it could kill me"?
> >
> > What is it that gets people so precious about themselves? The meaning of
> > a word is only what the user intends it to be. Context is all important.
> >
> >  From Wictionary (EN):
> > 4. (informal) An antipathy, as toward a person or activity.
> > He is allergic to reality TV.
> >
> > Suggests that Panayiotis' usage is perfectly correct. For all we know
> > 'doze really does bring him out in hives (or whatever).
> >
> > It is, IMHO, unacceptable that certain groups should adopt words as
> > their own, and deny others the right to use them.
> >
> > I'm sorry to learn about your affliction, Lisi, but if you tell people
> > you're allergic to nuts, I'm sure they wont confuse it with a dislike
> > for people with oddball ideas, although they may kill you.
> >
> I totally agree/support what Tony said.

I'm getting really fed up with this damn political correctness.
Windows is worse than a virus , it wrecks lives , friendships and employment.
In SF terms its on par with the Borg, and I do not wish to be assimilated.
As windows can produce misery, feelings of despair, leading to depression, and
that can lead to self harm. IMO opinion an allergy to windows is a valid
statement however politically correct you wish to be.

Richard