Re: file mode of scp/sftp

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 18:48:31 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 17:23:12 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>>> If users scp/sftp to my host, how is the default mode of files copied
>>> determined? Is it from users' umask in their ~/.profile, or somewhere
>>> else?
>>
>> For ssh connections I'm not sure this still applies. Look at "man 8
>> sshd" and scroll down to the "login process" section.
>
> From which it looks like one's ~/.profile setting (eg umask) is not
> honoured when doing scp. That complies with my observation. From
>
> How the SCP protocol works
> http://blogs.oracle.com/janp/entry/how_the_scp_protocol_works
>
> It looks like scp will just blindly apply 0644 to files and 0755 to
> directories. However, I was trying to enable the group write bit.

Additional info:

Setting default permissions on files and directories copied with scp or
sftp
http://muzso.hu/2009/01/26/setting-default-permissions-on-files-and-directories-copied-with-scp-or-sftp

Change permissions upon uploading with scp
http://superuser.com/questions/291835/change-permissions-upon-uploading-with-scp

Greetings,

--
Camaleón