Re: Boot failure between grub and kernel?

Steven wrote:
On Sun, 2012-01-01 at 19:02 -0600, hvw59601 wrote:
[...]
But shouldn't it fail all the time then?

Not if it's a race condition of some sorts, which is quote possible, see
below.

Since I turned off 'quiet' it hasn't failed yet...

Mine has, just now, I had to reset, second time I turned the machine off
(holding power switch for 4 seconds), then I disconnected the older IDE
cable (still used here for 2 DVD drives, 1 read-only, 1 writer). Booting
without the IDE devices attached went just fine, although I have yet to
boot a second time, so it might be a coincidence.

It was the messages that lead me to disconnecting the drives, as the
lockup occurs when initializing those drives, or at least after the hard
disks (all SATA). I'm not sure if these are the cause, but my burner has
been acting weird... not immediately opening when told, etc..

I took pictures of both lockups.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/20120102001.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/20120102002.jpg/

I had a hang: blank screen w/o the "Loading..." message. Waited a few secs. and hit the reset button.

Hugo