Re: gksu: Couldn't set environment variable...

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 11:14:20PM GMT, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Sthu Deus wrote:
> > I can not run two applications w/ gksu:
> >
> > chromium and
> > qbittorrent
>
> Why do you want to run those applications as root?  You should not do
> this.  Neither of those applications are designed for being run as
> root.  Those should be run as a normal non-root user.

Sthu hadn't mentioned even once that he tries to run those as root.

Nevertheless, in principle, I do agree with Bob here - IMHO, running
standard software as root is a bit silly, to say the least.
What I disagree with is the statement that they hadn't been designed
to run as root. Root, UID 0, a special kind of user it might be, is
still a user and can/should be able to run *any* program. The question
"why" would anyone do that is a different matter altogether.

However, only two programs causing the problem when run using gksu is
most peculiar and indeed shouldn't be ignored.

Regards,
--
Raf