Re: Debian: A noob query

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 06:43:54 -0500
Sam Vagni <sam.vagni@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,

Hello Sam,

> I just want to go into Linux, coming from Windows XP. Just want to
> know if Debian is good to go with and learn then?

It's good to go with, depending on what you're looking for.
If you want to learn, there's no Linux distro better for the purpose,
but an easier introduction could be by downloading and installing LMDE
here: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1818 which many are switching to
from Ubuntu.

After playing with that for a while and you feel you would like to get
more 'hands on', by all means, install Debian.

> Just to clear my doubts that head people saying about its'
> non-compatibility with the newest hardware and not having latest
> technology, is it a myth? Further, I hope I can use easily Flash,
> Java, etc.. if Firefox if I install and go with Debian....

These days, there's no problem.
There's an assumption that because Debian supports old hardware, that's
all it does. This is misleading. Debian supports far more hardware than
it used to. The BSDs can still be a little bit picky, but that doesn't
apply here.
Regards,

Weaver.

--
"In a world without walls and fences,
what need have we for Windows or Gates?"