Re: DHCP server not starting at boot, any workarounds?

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 22:09:40 +0200, Victor Nitu wrote:

> On 11/23/2011 08:53 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Not sure if this thread will give you any hint:
>>
>> ***
>> DHCP server (version 4) with an alias IP address
>> https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2010-September/012052.html
>> ***
>>

> Thanks for the reply, but the thread you linked to in your email
> revolves around another specific situation, somehow related but still
> with different triggers.

Yes, I already noticed that the user had defined eth0 (system wide) and
wanted to start the service by binding dhcpd to an alias device.

> I don't have *any* IP addresses on physical eth interfaces, only
> aliases, and that's where dhcp server is a little confused.

Error messages would help. What's dhcpd saying?

> I can, of course start the service manually, but I cannot simply
> presume I will be there (or even aware of) whenever this will be needed.

And when you manually start the service, dhcpd does not complain? That's
weird :-?

> Tried with a startup script that sleeps for 5 secs, then starts
> /etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server, no success. By now, this can only be done
> manually.
>
> Still digging around,

Yup, this requires more investigation. If the service cannot be started
at all that would be "understandable"... but what makes dhcpd to change
its mind when it is automatically triggered or manually pulled?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón