Re: Safety while network install.

On 2011-11-21, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:

> But seriously, Debian is configured as a quite secure system at any time
> unless you make stupid configuration yourself.  So it is quite safe.

Would you be so kind as to explain to me what ports/services are
open and listening on a default install of Debian Squeeze (if any) and if there
are any security implications for the novice user or "hardening" to be
performed on a default install (in relation to listening daemons)?

I got rid of avahi and another daemon that opened listening ports because I
didn't know what those services were exactly, what purpose they served,
or whether they presented any kind of danger to my security. (I think
the other service was portmap, now that I come to think of it).

I remember in the past the xserver would listen by default (at least on
some linuxes), but now the default apparently is not to listen, which is
a good thing, though it took a while to get there.

Thanks.