Re: (partial solution) VLC?

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:15:54 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:34:11 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>

> OK.  Copying the DVD to my hard drive works, provided I do it as root.
> I need root because the top-level directory on my DVD has *no
> permissions whatsoever*.  The files within this directory, though, have
> reasonable permissions for user, group, world.  But the uid and gid are
> -1.
>
> VLC will only play the first program in the files so copied.
>
> To get the rest, I use a program I found at
> http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/ DVD-VR/ which links to
> http://www.pixelbeat.org/programs/dvd-vr/ It reads the IFO and VRO files
> and puts together a sequence of VOB files.
>
> VLC will play these VOB files.
>
> I've used more  disk space on my laptop this week than I've used in the
> previous year, though -- essentially two copies of the data on the DVD.
> It wold be good to find some way to combine all this hackery so as not
> to need all that file space.
>
> -- hendrik

So, is the stuff in that program from  http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/ DVD-
VR/ that decodes .VRO files something that VLC (and other media players)
should do in a streaming style to avoid using all that temporary disk
space?  Or should it be a file system that VLC just reads stuff from?
Where's the proper place to discuss this?

-- hendrik