Re: Todays Nasty little problem: Defeat the BIOS

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 9/30/2011 9:29:48 PM
Subject: Re: Todays Nasty little problem: Defeat the BIOS

Terence <terence.john@gmail.com> writes:

> On 30 September 2011 21:27, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Just reporting back.  After pulling the card blowing everything out
>> and reinstalling the card, I got video back.  Not only that but a DVI
>> outlet on that card that hasn't worked for a good while, began working
>> too.
>
> Can you give us more details?
>
> Like : what do you mean by:-
>
> "After pulling the card blowing everything out"
>
> It would be interesting to think what might have been the problem
> apart from, probably, poor or dirty connections.

I pulled out the video card, (an MSI nvidia FX 5700LE) took a can of
compressed air, and blew around the card seat. I went ahead and
blew out all around the cpu, rear fan, power supply vents and fan and
all other components I could get too.

It was not terribly dusty....I've seen much worse but I think I may
have performed that operation not so long ago.

I think now, that dust was not the problem... I suspect the card had
become dislodged to some small degree. That machine has been moved a
good bit recently. So I really think reseating the card was what
really did the work.... I'll never know for sure.

Often when the card has been removed it is useful to run a pencil eraser over the pins to clean them.

Larry