Re: Todays Nasty little problem: Defeat the BIOS

Terence <terence.john@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you, Harry,
>
> Cleaning never does any harm, providing it's done properly!
>
> As you say, you may never know for sure, but cleaning contacts often
> does, in my experience, solve a number of problems.
>
> I noted the fact that card previously worked, but without the DVI
> output. Perhaps the problem(s) was/were just the contacts.

I've been very lazy about that kind of maintenance for yrs and yrs so
I just assumed that probably was not the problem since I don't recall
having a similar event... And this particular machine did not appear
that dirty.  I leaned toward jostling and unseating but
really that would be quite hard to do.

I had a machine built in Calif. and shipped to Gary IN once.  It had
apparently gotten hit hard enough to knock several hard drives clear
out of the runners they slid into and bent the frame of the case
somewhat.

That video card and all the rest of it (including the hardrives) still
worked with no more than putting the HDDs back in.

It may have had an earlier end of life but hard to say some 7-8 yrs
later.

If cleaning is as important as you say, its good to know it.