SOLVED: was Re: openjdk-7-jre and Iceweasel

On Friday 30 September 2011 12:00:23 Walter Hurry wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 07:28:32 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> dns.html

> >>    I am not sure this works with openjdk-7 but try to install
> >> icedtea-plugin.
> >
> > Thank you to all three of you.  I finally manged to install
> > icedtea-plugin from Sid, but now things are even worse!  Before, I got a
> > box with a message that I needed to install java.  Now I just have a
> > box-shaped light grey area with nothing else visible. :-(
> >
> > Any clues?  I am beginning to think that I may have to install another
> > distro just for this. :-(
> >
> > But I'll try Squeeze first.
> >
> > Sorry - I have not got you any further forward, Gilbert.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Lisi
>
> I have a stock Squeeze installation, and the page you referenced works
> for me. Here is my setup:
>
> $ java -version
> java version "1.6.0_18"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.9) (6b18-1.8.9-0.1~squeeze1)
> $ dpkg -l | grep icedtea
> ii  icedtea6-plugin                         6b18-1.8.9-0.1~squeeze1
> web browser plugin based on OpenJDK and IcedTea to execute Java applets
> $ firefox --version
> Mozilla Iceweasel 3.5.16, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2010 mozilla.org
>
> Hope this helps.

It certainly did.  It went without a hitch.

And I now have Trinity back again too.  (A few days of living with Wheezy's
version of LXDE had convinced me that life is too short to waste any of it
stranded without KDE3, or any functioning desktop.  Though had I succeeded in
getting going the things I need, I'd have stuck even that out.)

So thank you very much.  (And sorry Gilbert.)

Lisi