Re: openjdk-7-jre and Iceweasel

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 07:28:32 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Thursday 29 September 2011 17:03:55 Dejan Ribič wrote:
>> Dne 29.9.2011 17:54, piše Lisi:
>> > I am trying, without success, to run:
>> >
>> > http://media.pearsoncmg.com/aw/aw_kurose_network_2/applets/dns/
dns.html

>> > The problem is the applet.  The Java I have on  my Lenny system is
>> > too old. Hardly surprising.  So I switched to Wheezy.  Still not OK.
>> > I checked: I only had openjdk-6-jre.  So I installed openjdk-7-jre
>> > and its dependencies. Still no joy.  I imagine that iceweasel is not
>> > using it at all, or not in the way that jre 7 needs.  What can I do
>> > to run this applet?  This is a course in OSS, so it shouldn't require
>> > anything proprietary.
>> >

>>    I am not sure this works with openjdk-7 but try to install
>> icedtea-plugin.
>
> Thank you to all three of you.  I finally manged to install
> icedtea-plugin from Sid, but now things are even worse!  Before, I got a
> box with a message that I needed to install java.  Now I just have a
> box-shaped light grey area with nothing else visible. :-(
>
> Any clues?  I am beginning to think that I may have to install another
> distro just for this. :-(
>
> But I'll try Squeeze first.
>
> Sorry - I have not got you any further forward, Gilbert.
>
> Thanks again,
> Lisi

I have a stock Squeeze installation, and the page you referenced works
for me. Here is my setup:

$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.9) (6b18-1.8.9-0.1~squeeze1)
$ dpkg -l | grep icedtea
ii  icedtea6-plugin                         6b18-1.8.9-0.1~squeeze1
web browser plugin based on OpenJDK and IcedTea to execute Java applets
$ firefox --version
Mozilla Iceweasel 3.5.16, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2010 mozilla.org

Hope this helps.