Re: Question propmted by response to [Re: More USB install-images please!]

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:14:55 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> You should first clarify what's what you have in mind, I'm not seeing
>> your goal.
>>

> Started a reply which got longer and longer as I realized not only what
> had left out but some unspecified (even to myself) assumptions. I also
> came across some links that caused me to rethink some issues. I'll post
> better formed question to a new thread.

Okay :-)

> In the meantime the short version is: I have:
>    1. one 16GB USB drive (freshly FAT32 formatted)
>    2. two WinXP machines    (1 w CD drive, 1 w/o )
>    3. iso of ~dozen distros (most had the word "Live" in
> description)

By point 3 you mean you have several LiveCD ISO files, right?

> I want:
>    1. bootable USB drive with choice of a dozen Linux
> distros at boot time

Uf... Then you are looking for something like a multi-LiveCD bootable
from your pendrive. It could be possible but I'm not aware of any ready-
made application. I would search for more info in Google, for instance:

http://superuser.com/questions/26548/multiple-livecd-isos-on-a-single-usb-drive

>       [I really want persistence]

That will depend on the LiveCD's you are using. I remember that in the
past some LiveCD/LiveUSB allowed data to be stored on the hard disk or
under a dedicated USB partition.

>    2. two WinXP machines whose hard drive had not been touched
>       [had bad experience with a dual-boot setup that I was
> supposed to be
>        able to back out of - didn't work out for unknowABLE
> reasons]
> Purpose:
>    1. Which distros can physically run on _BOTH_ my machines.

Run, from a LiveUSB? here you have some:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_USB

And also here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tools_to_create_Live_USB_systems

I'd say nowadays there are many options...

>    2. Which
>    distros require least tweaking to run adequately.

For this I can't tell, you will have to read about this on every
distribution LiveUSB FAQ/requirements page as this is something it is
continously changing :-?

> 3. Which of above is most natural for way I think and work.

I dunno, really, there can be many that fits your needs although there
are distributions aimed to be run as LiveUSB (Slax, Puppy...) because
they're small and run very fast you may also find them a bit lacking, so
YMMV.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón