Re: OT: laptop choice

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:29:27 +0200
Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr> wrote:

> For a friend of mine, I am going to by a laptop/ In my country
> (france), it is impossible to get computer without  $W exccept if you
> get acer.So she want to buy  this one:
> eMachines G443-E352G32Mn - Ordinateur Portable 17,3'' - AMD E-350
> (1,6 GHz) - 320 Go - RAM 2048 Mo - AMD Radeon HD 6310 - Linpus Linux
> with is equiped with a linpus, which I am going to replace by a
> debian. Since the last acer I bought is still over heating (I am
> using it right now) I would kike to have retourns on the above.

First of all, the sight of the name 'eMachines' causes me to cross my
fingers and reach for the garlic. I once saw an eMachines desktop sold
with XP installed in 128MB of RAM, and a motherboard *maximum* of
256MB, and that included onboard video RAM. Even the original XP wasn't
comfortable in less than about 300MB. I've seen a couple of other
eMachines products which were similarly under-specced and not
especially well built.

Having said that, I'm moderately impressed with Acer, I have a
five-year-old laptop which was the cheapest available then, and which is
still going strong, albeit with a bit more RAM and a bigger drive than
it started with. I have an Acer netbook which was a reburbished product,
and it had an intermittent fault. Once this was actually fixed, it's
done a couple of years with no problems. It also came with Linpus,
which is based on Fedora and not really as terrible as many people say,
once you break out of the kindergarten user interface. I dumped it in
favour of Ubuntu Netbook when it turned out not to have iptables
modules built in, and I didn't feel like building a new kernel on
exotic hardware in an unfamiliar OS. In terms of build quality, I have
no complaints about Acer. I'd put them at least up with the cheaper
Dell and HP products.

--
Joe