Re: Question propmted by response to [Re: More USB install-images please!]

On Wed 28 Sep 2011 at 16:14:55 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Started a reply which got longer and longer as I realized not only what I
> had left out but some unspecified (even to myself) assumptions. I also
> came across some links that caused me to rethink some issues. I'll post a
> better formed question to a new thread.
>
> In the meantime the short version is:
> I have:
>   1. one 16GB USB drive (freshly FAT32 formatted)
>   2. two WinXP machines (1 w CD drive, 1 w/o )
>   3. iso of ~dozen distros (most had the word "Live" in description)
> I want:
>   1. bootable USB drive with choice of a dozen Linux distros at boot time
>      [I really want persistence]

PLAN A
------

Install Debian live (Squeeze) to the USB drive by booting a CD from one
of your machines. The drive should now be bootable from either
machine. Use the OS for all your everyday tasks. Get used to it. Do lots
of reading. A month or two should have you feeling fairly confident
with the system. By the end of this time you'll be so enchanted with
the technical excellence of Debian it is likely you will have forgotten
about all the other isos.

If not, you can find out about GRUB 2's loopback facility and how it can
be used to boot most isos from the GRUB menu on the USB drive.

PLAN B
------

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Persistence may or may not be a problem but saving to a USB stick is a
possibility.