Re: Alternative archiving measures

On 09/28/11 13:40, Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 04:37:52 -0400, RiverWind wrote:

Might any of you know of any utilities that will decompress or convert
archived files in "rar" format? The "unrar" utility that is pretty
ubiquitous on Unix systems is not supported by Linux, or at least not
the Debian distro. Consequently, to the best of my knowledge, the
"unrar" utility can't be installed and/or used on a Linux system. I have
gotten suggestions concerning certain utilities, but they were windows
applications. Any help would be most sincerely appreciated.

"rar" and "unrar" utilities are both supported in Linux and Debian but I
would avoid using them in favor of an open compression tool/file formats
(such as bz2, lzma, gz, etc...)

Greetings,

Among those "etc", let me point at sevenzip, it's probably the closest you can get to winrar