Re: partitioning inhibits boot on AF drive?

On Tue 27 Sep 2011 at 18:09:56 -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> I made two further attempts at installation, one with Ubuntu 10.10 and
> the other with Debian testing (wheezy 20110908-15:43).  In each
> attempt, I allowed the system to utilize the entire disk, putting all
> files (including the boot loader) into the / partition.
>
> Neither attempt allowed a subsequent boot of the system.  I am
> wondering if the previous (factory) installation of Window$-7 is at
> the root of the problem.
>
> Lenovo has published instructions for the user to follow to replace
> the drive, but the process is rather involved and necessitates removal
> of the keyboard, so I hesitate to try installation on another drive as
> a troubleshooting experiment.

If you wish to follow that route you could install to a USB stick. Much
better than dismantling the machine! A complete desktop install
shouldn't be necessary so a 1GB drive is up to it. Get the base system
on and then the boot loader into the MBR. Switch to console 4 (ALT F4)
immediately after doing that to see in detail what is going on.