Re: kppp dialing process hang up on 'starting pppd'. (was: bug in ppp - grave)

On 27/09/11 04:39, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> you are right, I mentioned umtsmon.

I read the log. Even if I hadn't had problems in the past - which were
solved by abandoning UMTSmon, I'd still call UMTSmon the problem *based*
on the errors in your log.

> But the problem was not beeing umtsmon
> updated, but ppp updated. Umtsmon is just a GUI to call ppp with additional
> parameters, nothing else.

Well - that's your opinion (and surely you are entitled to it) :-)
It's why I/we stopped using UMTSmon and moved to Kppp. Works for us as
*we* want the fixes from the updated pppd. I gave you the means to test
your assumptions about UMTSmon and pppd (remove UMTSmon from the dialup
process, and if you can connect the problem cannot be pppd).

> So the problem was IMO in ppp, as the only thing, which was changed, was the
> ppp binary, NOT umtsmon. I tried to explain that to the maintainers, but they
> seemed not to understand.
>
> So, kppp is just another GUI for ppp, which is just doing the same - calling
> ppp with additional options. BTW, I tried several other GUIs for ppp (also the
> one from Vodafone, the result was NONE of them worked with ppp from testing or
> unstable. Reverting back to the old one, ALL of them worked.
>
> So IMO it is a fault and a bug in ppp, nothing else. But I do not want to
> quarrel, so I found my solution in using the old stuff and setting it to hold.
>
> Some day another people may havbe the same problem with ppp and may explain
> better than me. No problem, I can wait.
>
> Maybe you now understand, why I pointed to ppp itself.

I understand your reasoning (I believe it's flawed) - meanwhile the rest
of the world, including users of the identical modem, are connecting
without problem. As 3G/UMTS is the only means of internet I have.... I
basically have no choice but to disagree (mine works, everyone I know
has no problems etc).

> Best regards
>
> Hans

Hope you solve your problems - though I suspect they won't solve themselves.
Perhaps now we can return the thread to the original poster.

Cheers