Re: [OT] advice re Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Disk Drive

On 9/26/2011 6:53 AM, Lisi wrote:
Is the Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard
Disk Drive worth the extra money over the Blue ranges?

And would you recommend it?  I don't want to cause myself complications with
another dud drive. :-(

/knocks on wood

I've had a Blue series WD5000AAKS-00V1A0 single platter drive in production in my SOHO MX mail server for almost 16,000 hours now, 1.8 years. This is a 500GB 3.5" SATA2 drive, 7.2k, 16MB cache. I'm pleased with it so far. Primary workload is low rate random IO--Postfix queue file and Dovecot mbox. 250GB of it is not even partitioned yet. In a nutshell, light duty use. Relevant S.M.A.R.T. data:

Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0
Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0
Seek_Error_Rate         0
Power_On_Hours		15639