Re: Upgraded from Squeeze to unstable - NVIDIA

"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> writes:

> Am Montag, 26. September 2011 schrieb Csanyi Pal:
>> Brad Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> writes:
>> > I believe to install the nvidia driver the Debian way, you need to
>> > enable the non-free repositories then install
>> >
>> > glx-alternative-nvidia
>> > libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
>> > libgl1-nvidia-glx
>> > libglx-nvidia-alternatives
>> > nvidia-alternative
>>
>> Already installed.
>>
>> > nvidia-common
>>
>> Have not in the repository (main contrib non-free).
>>
>> > nvidia-glx
>> > nvidia-installer-cleanup
>> > nvidia-kernel-common
>> > nvidia-kernel-dkms
>> > nvidia-settings
>> > nvidia-support
>> > nvidia-vdpau-driver
>> > xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
>>
>> Already installed.
>>
>> Still haven't X Window yet.
>>
>> I'm trying to run nvidia-settings but get error message:
>> ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run `nvidia-settings
>> --help` for usage information.
>>
>> Don't know what to do further to get X Window?
>
> Try the command "m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source", that should build the
> kernel.
> You must have the correct environment available. Just call m-a, then
> in the menu go through the points like Overview and Update. Make sure,
> all necessary kernel-headers are installed.

Yes, I'm sure about the right kernel-headers.
I did Update in m-a.

> Then you can try the already mentioned m-a a-i
> nvidia-kernel-source. If something was missing (like the kernel
> headers), then nvidia-kernel-dkms will be built during the download
> and installation of the headers.

I did 'm-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source'.

> Make sure, everything as above is installed. If it still doesn't work,
> feel free to ask again.

Now when I run startx to try it out I get messages:
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down Server terminated successfully
(0). Closing log file.

I have Xlog here> http://paste.debian.net/132475/

What can be here the problem?

--