Re: Worst Admin Mistake? was --> Re: /usr broken, will the machine reboot ?

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Brian Ryans <brian.l.ryans@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quoting The_Ace on 2011-09-14 03:08:
>> drop database Live_database;
>>
>> Restored the previous day's backup and blamed it on a bad power supply :P
>
> You coulda blamed it on any of the outputs of "fortune bofh-excuses" and
> most users would likely not know.
>
> My worst administration mistake? Forgetting to check asset numbers
> before sanitizing a machine -- I'd sanitized an actively used
> diagnostics computer instead of the identical-looking machine sitting
> right next to it. Though that machine was the cleanest in the shop
> afterwards. dban, dish soap, compressed air and water.

Similar story:
We once unracked and decommissioned a server because someone had
accidentally switched the face-plates.  We now label faceplate, some
point under the faceplate, and the back side as well.

What we actually unracked was a VM host.  Luckily all the guests
vmotioned elsewhere,  It was still a mess though.

I wasn't involved in that one.  :-)