Re: Upgraded from Squeeze to unstable - NVIDIA

Am Montag, 26. September 2011 schrieb Csanyi Pal:
> Brad Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> writes:
> > I believe to install the nvidia driver the Debian way, you need to enable
> > the non-free repositories then install
> >
> > glx-alternative-nvidia
> > libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
> > libgl1-nvidia-glx
> > libglx-nvidia-alternatives
> > nvidia-alternative
>
> Already installed.
>
> > nvidia-common
>
> Have not in the repository (main contrib non-free).
>
> > nvidia-glx
> > nvidia-installer-cleanup
> > nvidia-kernel-common
> > nvidia-kernel-dkms
> > nvidia-settings
> > nvidia-support
> > nvidia-vdpau-driver
> > xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
>
> Already installed.
>
> Still haven't X Window yet.
>
> I'm trying to run nvidia-settings but get error message:
> ERROR: The control display is undefined; please run `nvidia-settings
> --help` for usage information.
>
> Don't know what to do further to get X Window?

Try the command "m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source", that should build the kernel.
You must have the correct environment available. Just call m-a, then in the
menu go through the points like Overview and Update. Make sure, all necessary
kernel-headers are installed.

Then you can try the already mentioned m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source. If
something was missing (like the kernel headers), then nvidia-kernel-dkms will
be built during the download and installation of the headers.

Make sure, everything as above is installed. If it still doesn't work, feel
free to ask again.

Good luck!

Hans