Re: [OT] advice re Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Disk Drive

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:37:23 +0100, Lisi wrote:

(...)

> So the next question is:  I am taking your advice Camaleon.  So which
> external caddy  or make of external caddy would people recommend for a
> WD1002FAEX?  Or doesn't it really make much difference?

It doesn't have to make any difference.

I have external enclosures of both types, branded and "with no labels"
and had no problems with any of them.

As you did not provide any item from we can choose to, I can tell you
what fetaures I look for when buying these cases:

1/ Fanless aluminium based (I hate noise but disk needs to be cooled if
it's going to be most of the time "on").

2/ Nowadays I will look for a USB 3.0 enclosure with additional ports
(such as firewire or eSATA, depending on what are your computer's extra
connections, if any).

3/ Read *a lot* before buying to see if the case will work under linux. It
does not have to have any problems, but ensure the chipset is supported
by the kernel and uses open specs.

A good start point for digging is NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures

Although they're USA based, I find it very useful due to the large amount
of products it has and user's feedback.

(there are also Amazon or another places where you can gather this data)

4/ A good design also helps in my decision but what you consider nice
can differ from my point of view (and viceversa). I like cases with not
many colors, sober, with small and not so bright leds to avoid
disturbing me, a dedicated power switch button and addons like to be able
to put the unit horizontally or vertically, small power supply...).

5/ Case size... 3.5" are okay if you have space limitations but 5.25"
cases will provide more room for a better cable management.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón