Re: iceweasel based on firefox 6.0 for squeeze

On 2011-09-25 17:56:32, Brian wrote:
> The squeeze version of Iceweasel doesn't lose its usefulness because
> there is a later version out.

The environment changes relative to a frozen browser which reduce
the usefulness to me.

Google Apps was mentioned earlier which used to work and now give
you an ugly warning upon login.  Their admin interface to
add/remove users did not work for many months (I had to install
chromium for that task).

Addons for Firefox continue to evolve and some do not preserve
backwards compatibility.  Firebug comes to mind.  While you can
continue to use the old version, you no longer get the benefit of
improvements or bug fixes in addons.

> The later version may have a few more
> *additional* useful enhancements but that is not what point 4 is about,
> And what is in Iceweasel 7.0 which makes it urgent for *all* users to
> have it available in squeeze-updates?

I appreciate the benefits of stable especially on the server
side.  But does anyone really benefit from running Firefox 3.5.x
opposed to more current version?

> Backports and mozilla.debian.net are the places for updated Mozilla
> packages. They are splendid resources.

I knew of backport but not iceweasel-release.  How do people find
out of those semi-official repos?  Is there a way to tell how
many people actually make use of it?  If it is more than x%
should it not be the default configuration?

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC