Re: iceweasel based on firefox 6.0 for squeeze

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 16:13:26 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Sun 25 Sep 2011 at 13:45:42 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> I've always wondered why Mozilla products are not integrated into
>> "squeeze-updates" (the old "volatile" repo), it seems to fit perfectly
>> there :-?
>
> Not quite the perfect fit for inclusion as you might think:
>
>    This suite will contain updates that satisfy one of the following
>    criteria:
>
>     * The update is urgent and not of a security nature.  Security
>     updates
>       will continue to be pushed through the security archive.  Examples
>       include packages broken by the flow of time (c.f. spamassassin and
>       the year 2010 problem) and fixes for bugs introduced by point
>       releases.
>     * The package in question is a data package and the data must be
>     updated
>       in a timely manner (e.g. tzdata).
>     * Fixes to leaf packages that were broken by external changes (e.g.
>       video downloading tools and tor).
>     * Packages that need to be current to be useful (e.g. clamav).

Yes, I already read that announcement message and that's why I find it
very appropriate, specially for points 1) and 4).

A very different thing is the limitation Sven has pointed out: if the
packages are not able to be compiled for all of the architectures and
"squeeze-updates" packages are going to be part of the "point" releases
then it makes more sense to keep these packages out of that tree.

P.S. I'm runnig a 64-bits lenny -yes, still- and had to get the upstream
mozilla packages because they are not updated anymore in Debian (fair)
but I had no incompatibility issues despite I'm running very old versions
of gtk and other libraries that Firefox needs and true is that I expected
complaints at install time... hopefully there were none.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón