nfs-common failure

Hi all,
I have lenny with custom kernel running on old Intel celeron macine. I wanted to start NFS server and installed nfs-kernel-server. The installation completed ok but the server fails to start. The message in syslog is 'rpc.statd[2400]: unable to register (statd,1,udp) . I found some information about a bug in nfs-common that results in this kind of failure but the posts were from 2008 and the bug should have been fixed by now. Any ideas?