Re: New SATA drive installation question (SOLVED)

On 09/24/11 20:48, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I'm feeling really dumb right now. Okay, I'm not dumb, I'm just lacking
the information that I need at this time.

I just installed a new SATA 1TB Seagate Barracuda drive in my Lenny box
with FVWM as my window manager. This is the first time that I have
installed a SATA drive. How do I determine what drive name to use to
repartition and reformat the drive. With an IDE drive I can tell what it
is from its position on the cable. That doesn't work with SATA.

I have looked at the output of blkid, as well as looking through
/dev/disk/ and I don't see anything that looks like the new drive to me.
I also didn't have anything jump out at me from dmesg.

Can anyone tell me where I should be looking, and what I should be
looking for?

Do I need to make changes in the BIOS to recognize SATA drives?

Obviously, I needed to answer my own question. Yes! I did need to activate SATA in the BIOS. As soon as I did so 'ls /dev/disk/by-id' clearly showed the drive as being /dev/sda. I then did 'fdisk /dev/sda' which showed that it does not come pre-partitioned. This is, of course, not a problem, since I would have wiped out the FAT, or NTFS partition and replaced it with ext-3 partitions, anyway.

Marc