Re: How to stop services from running in different init levels?

On 24/09/11 16:15, Harshad Joshi wrote:
> i want to stop privoxy and tor to starting automatically in runlevel 2.
> please tell me the script location from where we can make modifications
> to respective files?
>
> i dont want to type /etc/init.d/privoxy stop each time i log into gnome
> desktop.
>
> is there any GUI tool for starting stopping these services?
>
> --
> Harshad Joshi

In KDE the answer is torK - perhaps one of the GNOME fans could name the
GNOME equivalent (if one exists).

Alternatively disable start on boot following one of the recommendation
made by other posters, and create an icon or menu entry to start the
services on demand - the later is a trickier approach because amongst
other problems you need to make sure that once you start using tor -
*all* processes using the internet *must* use it, or make the process
pointless (eg. email, apt, iirc, etc)

Cheers

--
"But. Bill. Malls. Are. Good. Malls allow us to shop three-hundred and
sixty-five days of the year at seventy-two degrees. That must be good.