Re: how much time do I need to run badblocks

On Friday 23 September 2011 13:07:54 Long Wind wrote:
> I bought a 60G disk and test it with badblocks
>
> badblocks -vws /dev/hdb
>
> 6 hours has passed and it's still running
> I can no longer wait and press Ctrl+c
> It have finished with 3 test patterns
> It says nothing about whether bad blocks are found or not
> I have read its manual and get no answer about my question
>
> I'm still not sure if the disk is reliable

You didn't let Badblocks finish!  The longest it has taken when I have used it
was 13 hours - and this was a while ago, so probably a 40G HDD.

Let Badblocks finish, however long it takes, and if it still gives no error
message, ten all is well.  It only reports if there _are_ errors, and not if
there are not.

Lisi