Re: fcron as cron

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:
> > If you don't need SELinux integration, I think upstream fcron will be able
> > to handle a large number of jobs just fine.  However, fcron is in deep
> > maintenance mode upstream,
>
> Just like the default cron (and upstream even asked everyone to retire
> that code base long ago). *sigh*
>
> > and there are newer cron alternatives that are being actively
> > developed such as bcron.  It is probably worth it to check them out
> > first.
>
> Hmm.  bcron hasn't got time zone support, only improved DST handling
> (which OpenBSD seems to have implemented for Vixie cron, too).

You can always ask bcron upstream to add per-job timezone suport.

> >> I'm mainly interested in time zone support because our systems run on
> >> UTC, but we have jobs which need to run daily according to local time
> >> and our current workarounds aren't nice (hourly execution with an
> >> additional check, or edit the entries twice a year).
> >
> > I don't think fcron does much to help you with this use case, but it has
> > been some time since I last read through its full documentation.
>
> The documentation suggests that it's supported.

If Thibault documented it to be supported, it is.

If you find fcron to be useful enough for you to maintain it for Debian,
I'd be quite happy to send you historic packages, a copy of my local git
repo, and whatever else I have around that might be of some use.
Upstream is very friendly, but the packaging itself needs a few
man-hours of love to properly integrate with modern Debian anacron,
cron, /etc/cron.*, and so on.

  Henrique Holschuh