Re: fcron as cron

* Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:

> If you don't need SELinux integration, I think upstream fcron will be able
> to handle a large number of jobs just fine.  However, fcron is in deep
> maintenance mode upstream,

Just like the default cron (and upstream even asked everyone to retire
that code base long ago). *sigh*

> and there are newer cron alternatives that are being actively
> developed such as bcron.  It is probably worth it to check them out
> first.

Hmm.  bcron hasn't got time zone support, only improved DST handling
(which OpenBSD seems to have implemented for Vixie cron, too).

>> I'm mainly interested in time zone support because our systems run on
>> UTC, but we have jobs which need to run daily according to local time
>> and our current workarounds aren't nice (hourly execution with an
>> additional check, or edit the entries twice a year).
>
> I don't think fcron does much to help you with this use case, but it has
> been some time since I last read through its full documentation.

The documentation suggests that it's supported.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99