Re: Still trying to reduce the size of /, now that I have the bit between my teeth....

On Friday 23 September 2011 11:29:17 Jochen Spieker wrote:
> Lisi:
> > I still have two of the already suggested things to try, but meanwhile my
> > /usr is 3.7G, and my /, of which it forms part, is 4.7G.  This seems
> > slightly disproportionate.  How can I find out what is actually needed -
> > or even, used - in /usr?
>
> You can use dpigs (from debian-goodies) and popcon-largest-unused (from
> popularity-contest) to find good candidates to remove.
>
> BTW, depending on what you use your system for, 3.7GB for /usr doesn't
> look like very much. My server's /usr uses 1.8GB, my laptop's /usr uses
> 6.6GB. Apart from /home (and possibly /var, again depending on your
> usage pattern), /usr is usually tha largest directory.

Thanks for that, Jochen.  The kind of useful knowledge in which I am sadly
lacking.  And the reason that I don't split my / up.  I have absolutely no
idea how much space I need for what!

Thanks for the suggested applications too.

Lisi