Re: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) firmware

On 23/09/11 18:24, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Alex:
>
>> Any comments on the "Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)
>> firmware" and its ability to preclude booting from alternative
>> operating systems such as Linux, BSD etc., would be greatly
>> appreciated, as per article entitled "Windows 8 secure boot would
>> exclude' Linux"
>
> It seems to me that this technology was pioneered on Android devices
> (which tend to lock out alternative operating systems, not just custom
> kernels).

The U/EFI or the "lockout"?
The U/EFI was pioneered on Itanium systems long before Androids were
thought of.

Cheers

--
"As if growing up wasn't hard enough - I had a genius for an older brother.
I'd say "I don't have to do anything!" and he'd say