Re: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) firmware

On 23/09/11 15:50, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-09-23 07:15 +0200, Weaver wrote:
>
>> That's one way, but new tech is getting to the stage where it won't
>> work off a standard BIOS. You need the UEFI base to handle such things
>> as the new 4 TB drives from Seagate and Hitachi now.
>
> No, you don't.  You need GPT, which works fine with a traditional BIOS.
> Unless you boot Microsoft operating systems, that is.
>
> Sven

I'm pretty sure the last version of Windoof (and the next) can boot GPT.
Vistass can read it, but not boot. Dunno about the 64-bit version though
- it might boot it.
That's not a reason to move to Windoof. And U/EFI is a good reason to
run Coreboot (why worry about OS security when untrustable code is
running in BIOS/EFI?)

Cheers

--
"As if growing up wasn't hard enough - I had a genius for an older brother.
I'd say "I don't have to do anything!" and he'd say