Re: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) firmware

On 23/09/11 15:15, Weaver wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 11:04:51 +1000
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 23/09/11 09:01, Alex wrote:
<snipped>

>>> empire' did actually achieve that draconian, monopolistic goal.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Alex
>>>

>> Check out Coreboot - and research before buying a device/motherboard.
>
> That's one way, but new tech is getting to the stage where it won't
> work off a standard BIOS.

Untrue (see further down for why).
Note that U/EFI has been around for more than 20 years - still hasn't
delivered - yes it can obscure code from the user, which is a good
reason not to use a traditional BIOS anyway - but it's definitely not
the be-all-and-end-all. It fails to support a lot of firmware - don't
expect that situation to change anytime soon.

> You need the UEFI base to handle such things
> as the new 4 TB drives from Seagate and Hitachi now.

No - read on. :-)

> Here are a couple of articles that bear on the subject:
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/will-windows-8-block-users-from-dual-booting-linux-microsoft-wont-say/10772
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/microsoft-tries-to-block-linux-off-windows-8-pcs/9572
>
> Regards,
>
> Weaver.

Those articles are not strictly true - your old 16-bit BIOS will happily
handle those large hard drives - the limitation is not the BIOS - it's
the partition table and the OS. Linux/BSD/MAC/late versions of Windoof
will all handle GPT.

Those articles just blindly published marketing stories by Brian
Richardson, see one of his disingenuous posts down the bottom of this
story:-
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1740439/uefi

Given your choice of pseudonym you should no better than to fall for
such marketing guff. :-)

Cheers

--
"As if growing up wasn't hard enough - I had a genius for an older brother.
I'd say "I don't have to do anything!" and he'd say