Re: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) firmware

Thanks for the quick reply, John.

It is a long time ago that I hacked any BIOS, and then it was only with tools made available by the manufacturer to boot the machine in the first place, that I have forgotten / no knowledge of how this may be achieved. In any case, I was always under the impression that BIOS resided in ROM (Read Only Memory) hardware, which required removing chips and re-buring them with ROM burner hardware. Maybe things have changed since I was last in that world, but to my knowledge the BIOS setting that we can tinker with, are stored in some sort of FLASH memory or similar, which is indeed writeable, and maintained by the on board battery.

But, as I say, all this is from many years ago and maybe things have changed.

But I would like to at least have some backup way out if 'the evil empire' did actually achieve that draconian, monopolistic goal.

Regards

Alex