Re: Debian Testing Xfce4.8 startx problems

On Thu 22 Sep 2011 at 06:30:19 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:

> No, I do not have xdm installed. I want to run my system without a DM.
> The xfce4 doc states to simple put "exec startxfce4" in ~/.xsession so
> that consolekit and policykit will be called upon, however they do not
> seem to be.

The README.Debian you are referring to dates from 2009. Since then
consolekit has become more stringent in the criterion it uses to decide
whether an 'is-local' session should be marked 'ACTIVE' and, in
consequence, it will not set policykit up to do the things you want it
to do when startx (or xdm) is used.

>             I was hoping to be able to get this to work without having
> to make custom pkla files.

You have a reference containing two other techniques to use. But why not
.pkla files? They are a way of cutting out the monkey and going straight
to the organ grinder. You will not gain any benefit from consolekit even
though it has to remain on your system.