Re: USB Headset - no playback or recording

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 06:45:44 -0700, Eric Galaxy wrote:

> I have a Sharkoon X-Tatic SP usb headset.  It is the only
> playback/recording device I have.  In sound preferences, it shows two
> devices, my onboard sound card and the headset.  I put it to play
> through the headset, but it doesn't.
>  It also does not record (according to the sound recorder, levels stayed
>  at
> 0 while I tried to record).  Anyway, that has taken me to the limits of
> my unfortunately limited troubleshooting skills.  I tried searching for
> a solution, but I don't even know where to start?  Do I need some
> package?  Do I need to change some setting? I have no clue where to go
> from here.

Hum... I also have a USB headset (from Plantronics) that works pretty
well. When I plug the headset into the USB port, I can see it detected
when I run "dmesg" and it becomes widely available to the system.

By default the system sets this device as "primary" so all of the
programs use it for sound output with no additional steps or
configuration on my part. You can check what's the default sound system
device by issuing "aplay -l", that will show you the available sound
cards at their assigned order (card "0" is the first, "1" the second,
etc...).

Also, ensure you have already checked for the basics: review that all
sound levels for the USB headset are high enough and when using the sound
recorder to check the micro verify that you have selected the right input
as source, that is, the USB micro.

(...)

> If anyone has any recommendations about where to go to get a
> solid foundation of knowledge/skills, I'd appreciate those too.

Despite books are good and needed, own experience and exploring things by
yourself is one of the most useful and motivating teachers for learning
so my "recipe" includes:

- Use your Debian system every day :-)

- Search and look for information you don't know, Google is a good source
from where to start to dig

- Ask on the lists whatever you don't understand or should you need
additional advice

Greetings,

--
Camaleón