USB Headset - no playback or recording

I have a Sharkoon X-Tatic SP usb headset.  It is the only playback/recording device I have.  In sound preferences, it shows two devices, my onboard sound card and the headset.  I put it to play through the headset, but it doesn't.  It also does not record (according to the sound recorder, levels stayed at 0 while I tried to record).  Anyway, that has taken me to the limits of my unfortunately limited troubleshooting skills.  I tried searching for a solution, but I don't even know where to start?  Do I need some package?  Do I need to change some setting? I have no clue where to go from here.

I am brand new to debian, I just successfully installed it yesterday.  I spent a month or so with Ubuntu, and was using Windows for decades before that.  My familiarity with all things Linux is very limited.  I have been reading a online book about using the CLI and other stuff, but the learning is slow.

As a side note, Debian seems awesome.  The interface seems much more appealing to me than Ubuntu, though I'm not sure exactly why.  Everything works smoothly, and the installation process went off without a hitch.  Thank you Debian developers!  I'm looking forward to learning a lot about linux.  If anyone has any recommendations about where to go to get a solid foundation of knowledge/skills, I'd appreciate those too.

--
Eric